How to Do Self-Care During the COVID-19 Pandemic
It’s important to practice good self-care during normal times. But during the COVID-19 pandemic, it’s absolutely crucial for nurses and healthcare professionals to take care of themselves after hours.
The phrase “self-care” gets mentioned a lot, but what does it actually mean? Self-care involves doing activities that take care of your mind, body and spirit and help you reduce stress.
After a long work shift, it’s easy to be lured into watching the latest hot shows on all your favorite streaming services. While there’s nothing wrong with watching some TV, it doesn’t really rejuvenate us for the next day.
Instead, we recommend trying these great ideas to ease your mind and heal your body.
6 Self-Care Suggestions
- Meditate ― Find an app to get in the practice of daily meditation. Just a few minutes can make a big difference. Headspace is offering a free premium subscription to their mindfulness and guided meditation app for any healthcare provider who works in the US through the end of the year. To register, provide your National Provider Identifier (NPI) and an email address.
- Read a Book ― Transport yourself to a different world by enjoying that book you’ve been meaning to read. Visit bookshop.org if you’d like to support a local, independent bookseller during these tough economic times.
- Take a Long, Warm Bath ― Soothe your sore muscles with your favorite Epsom salts or enjoy fizzy bath bombs.
- Go for a Walk ― Even in states that have Shelter in Place orders, you can still enjoy the fresh air and stretch any cramped muscles with a relaxing stroll. Take your camera along to capture a whimsical moment.
- Cook or Bake ― Skip takeout a few times each week. Instead, check out EatingWell.com or your favorite celebrity chef’s website to pick new, delicious recipes.
- Get Mental Health Support ― If you need help, talk to someone. Don’t underestimate the toll that your work can have on you. Talkspace is offering free online therapy to help nurses, doctors and social workers cope with the pressure of fighting COVID-19. To sign up, provide your NPI and state of residence. Once certified, you’ll gain access to their unlimited messaging plus plan.
We understand that this is a difficult time. Reach out to us if you need anything ― you have a team supporting you and ready to help!
The time is now!
If you haven’t traveled with TaleMed, you can take your first step today. Contact a TaleMed recruiter by calling 1-800-494-0087, searching and applying for COVID-19 crisis jobs or completing our Quick Application.