Safety Tips for Nurses: Solo Travel
A List of Safety Travel Tips
Travel nursing is a valuable opportunity in your nursing career. You can see the world while you build your resume of nursing experience. But to ensure yours is a pleasant stay in your city of choice, it’s important to stay safe during your travel nurse assignment. And you can do this with some very important travel nurse safety tips.
When you travel to your San Diego travel RN placement, it’s a good idea to have some solo travel safety tips under your belt. No doubt you’re strong and smart—so take a few precautions to stay safe in San Diego. It’s easy when you follow a few key steps:
- Get to know your co-workers. This way, you’ll always have someone to go out with when you venture around the city off the clock.
- Invest in a reliable GPS. You’ll thank yourself as you get used to navigating San Diego, as well as each new city.
- Explore during the daytime. As you get acclimated, do so while the sun is still high in the sky! And keep in mind what time the sun rises and sets so you’ll never be taken off-guard.
- Choose an apartment in a safe area. You can work with your recruiter to select either travel nurse housing or your own apartment. Always choose a residence with secure, lockable doors and windows.
- Always keep your car locked. And when walking to your car at the end of your shift, ask for accompaniment from another nurse or a parking security guard.
- Keep valuables stowed safely. During your shift, use a locker to store your purse and cell phone. Keep items such as a backpack, laptop, purse, phone or GPS locked safely in your trunk if you’re running errands or going somewhere and won’t need them.
- Do your homework before you go out. Be sure you know the safest places to go, and travel with other nurses when you can.
- Keep your cell phone powered up. Bring your charger with you in case you need it. Most restaurants or coffee shops have plugs if you need to make a quick stop. It’s also helpful to purchase a car charger.
- Trust your instincts. If you ever feel unsafe, get out of there!
Work with your recruiter
Your travel nurse recruiter will help you find placements in the best cities for travel nurses. For San Diego travel nursing, or for travel to cities throughout the country, you can rely on TaleMed. We’ll work with you to understand your career goals and help you find travel nurses assignments that fit your needs. To learn more, contact TaleMed today!