Honoring Those Who Rise Above
There have been few times in history have healthcare professionals (HCPs) been in the spotlight like during the COVID-19 pandemic. “Healthcare hero” has become commonplace in media, but saving lives has always been at the root of the job.
Bonnie Barnes, co-founder and CEO of the DAISY Foundation, said, “Nurses don’t necessarily need to save lives in a dramatic fashion to be heroes. In many cases, nurses are caring for patients with compassion and clinical expertise when they unknowingly become heroes to the people around them.”
What is the DAISY Award?
The DAISY Foundation was established in 2000 by the family of J. Patrick Barnes who died at age 33 of complications of an auto-immune disease called Idiopathic Thrombocytopenic Purpura. The family was touched by the care and compassion of the nurses who took care of Patrick. After his death, they developed a recognition program to honor and celebrate healthcare professionals. The DAISY Award honors the super-human work of HCPs for patients and families wherever they practice and in whatever role they serve.
TaleMed partnered with the DAISY Foundation in 2018, joining over 4,500 healthcare facilities in all 50 states and 28 countries who participate in the DAISY Award program. When the TaleMed program launched, CEO Elizabeth Tracy said, “We are continuously inspired by the excellence and dedication of our travel professionals. That is why we partnered with the DAISY Foundation. We want to make sure our healthcare professionals know how much we appreciate them.” That sentiment still rings true today.
What makes a TaleMed DAISY Award winner?
TaleMed is incredibly proud of our hardworking healthcare professionals, and we look forward to sharing traveler stories that stand out. Our committee looks for nominees who are making a difference in the lives of their patients and who live out TaleMed’s core values – respect, innovation, consistency, humility, excellence, and resilience.
Previous TaleMed DAISY Award winners include:
- Marie: an ICU nurse who took quick action when she realized a patient of hers may have suffered a stroke
- Erin: her care for a patient dealing with a long hospital stay over the Christmas holiday showed the compassion she is known for
- Christina: was nominated by her patients for her dependability and outgoingness
- Kimberly: found a coarctation of the aorta on a week-old baby
- Danielle: delivered a baby on her first day in a unit when no doctor was available
- Rhonda: has become known for always going the extra mile in her work
- Jackie: an L&D nurse who exemplifies TaleMed’s core values
Nominate a TaleMed HCP today!
We would love to hear the story of a TaleMed healthcare professional you’ve encountered who deserves this recognition. Submit your nomination today so this HCP could win a TaleMed DAISY Award!