Questions Every Nurse Should Ask Before Accepting an Offer
Surprises aren’t always fun—especially when it comes to your travel nurse career. So before you pack your bags and head to Billings, Montana, or to your next travel assignment, you’ll want to find out all you can about the placement and facility. It’s important to be prepared with a list of questions for both your recruiter and the nurse manager. This way, you will always choose positions best fit to you—and avoid any surprises. We’ve compiled a list of questions to ask when deciding on your next travel nurse placement.
It’s always good to be prepared with questions to ask during your interview. A hiring manager wants to know you’re enthusiastic about your assignment, plus asking questions helps you choose only the best placements for you. Consider asking any of the following:
- Are other travelers on assignment at the facility?
- What is the nurse-to-patient ratio?
- Will I be asked to float between units?
- What type of charting do you use?
- Is parking provided?
- How will my work be scheduled? Will I work in shifts?
- Will I be expected to be “on call,” and when?
- Is overtime offered?
- Who do I talk to if I need time off?
- Do you ever extend travel contracts?
- Is there anything in particular I should know about the facility?
Questions for your recruiter
Your recruiter can help you find the right assignment based on your skills and career goals. She can work with you to get your paperwork in order and learn more about the facility, or put you in touch with a contact who can help. Ask your recruiter any of these questions:
- What kind of orientation is provided?
- What benefits do you offer (e.g., healthcare, retirement, bonuses)?
- Do you offer mileage reimbursement or meal allowances?
- Do you provide housing, and do I have the option to opt for a stipend?
- How long has the agency been in business?
- Will I receive help obtaining state licensure?
- Do you offer reimbursement for continuing education?
- How far is the facility from housing?
- Is public transportation available? Can I have a car with me?
- Who can I contact if I have questions or run into any issues?
- Can I bring my pet?
Check out TaleMed
If you’re looking for your next travel nurse assignment but you’re not sure where to begin, TaleMed is looking for you! We’re a medical staffing agency and we specialize in placing nurses with travel assignments that meet your skills and career needs. Whether you’re traveling to Billings, Montana, or to another city, such as Washington, DC; Brooklyn; Denver orSan Diego, we’ll give you the guidance and support you need to get the most from your travel assignment. To learn more, visit our nursing resources page or contact us today!